The Africa Cup of Nations is the continental comparison of the African Football Confederation (AFC). Every two years, the best team in Africa is selected. The first event was held in 1957, and since then 33 editions have followed until 2022. Since 2013, the biennial championship has been held in odd-numbered years so that it does not clash with World Cups, European Championships or the Olympic Games. However, due to the Covid 19 pandemic, the 2021 tournament could not take place and was postponed to 2022. The next tournament will already take place in 2023. The host country will be Côte d’Ivoire. A tournament in Guinea will follow in 2025.
The following betting predictions might also interest you:
- La Liga predictions
- Ligue 1 predictions
- Serie A predictions
- Premier League predictions
- Bundesliga predictions
- CAF Champions League Predictions
When the first tournament was held in Sudan in 1957, there were only three participants. The first winner was Egypt. Since then, however, the number of participants has grown rapidly. A total of 24 teams took part in the last tournament in Cameroon in 2022.
The record winner of the Africa Cup of Nations is Egypt. They won a total of seven titles between 1957 and 2010, followed by Cameroon in second place with five victories. Ghana won four titles, Nigeria three. The reigning winners, Senegal, were successful for the very first time in 2022.
The player with the most appearances and matches is the current coach of the Cameroon national team Rigobert Song. The former defender took part in eight tournaments and played 36 matches. His compatriot Samuel Eto’o is the record goalscorer with 18 goals.
Egypt’s Mahmoud El-Gohary (1959 and 1998) and Nigeria’s Stephen Keshi (1994 and 2013) won the trophy as players and coaches. French coach Hervé Renard even led two different countries to the title with Samba (2012) and Ivory Coast (2015).
There is another comparable tournament, the African Nations Championship. However, only players who play in a league in their home country are allowed to participate in this championship. Players who earn their money abroad are not allowed.
Participation & Mode
Only the host is automatically qualified for the tournament. All other teams have to qualify in a group stage consisting of 12 groups. The two group winners qualify for the final tournament.
There, the 24 qualified teams play each other in groups of six. Here, too, the two group winners qualify for the round of 16, as do the four best third-placed teams. The tournament continues with knock-out games until the final.
Betting on the Africa Cup
Betting on the Africa Cup is often difficult because information about the individual teams is often unclear. Some of the participating nations do not have good presswork and it is difficult to get information about the participating players. The 2022 Africa Cup was also characterised by a very strong focus on defence, which often resulted in teams that were inferior on paper playing to a draw or even winning against the favourites. On average, only 1.92 goals were scored per match. In 82.7% of all matches, less than 1.5 goals were scored by half-time.
The Africa Cup finals are always an uphill battle, with rarely one team prevailing over 90 minutes. Half of the last 10 tournaments were decided by a penalty shoot-out.
The Africa Cup of Nations is considered by almost all bookmakers and it is possible to bet on the matches with high limits. In addition, live betting is offered for all matches and some bookmakers even offer live streaming.
The authors and makers of Bettingtipsafrica are all great experts and lovers of African football and follow both the qualifying and tournament phases with great interest and enthusiasm in order to help you find the best betting predictions, odds, and infos.
Current Predictions Africa Cup of Nations
- Senegal vs. Egypt – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (06.02.2022, 20:00 CET)The grand final between Senegal and Egypt will take place on Sunday, 6 February. The kick-off at the Paul Biya Stadium in Olembe is at 20:00. Here is everything you need to know before the final. Read our analysis of the teams and the best betting tips for this match Before choosing your bookmaker, we … Read more
- Cameroon vs. Egypt – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (03.02.2022, 20:00 CET)Cameroon and Egypt will meet in the 2nd semifinal of the African Cup of Nations on Thursday evening. The kick-off at the Paul Biya Stadium in Olembe is at 8 pm. We have analysed the teams for you and picked out the best betting options for this match.
- Burkina Faso vs. Senegal – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (02.02.2022, 20:00 CET)Burkina Faso and Senegal will face each other in the first semi-final of the 2021 Africa Cup in Cameroon. This means that the world number 60 and the world number 20 will meet. In other words, the eleventh best side on the continent will challenge the leader in this classification. On Saturday, Burkina Faso defeated … Read more
- Senegal vs Equatorial Guinea – Betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup quarter-final (30.01.2022, 20:00 CET)The final quarter-final match of the Africa Cup of Nations will see the teams from Senegal and Equatorial Guinea meet. The match will kick off at the Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo in Yaoundé at 20:00 CET. Here is our analysis of the teams and a preview of the best betting options for this match. By the … Read more
- Egypt vs. Morocco – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (30.01.2022, 16:00 CET)Egypt and Morocco will meet in the third and penultimate quarter-final at the 2021 Africa Cup in Cameroon. Here, the teams ranked 28th and 45th in the FIFA rankings will compete. Moreover, this match will pit the number two and number six on the continent against each other. Egypt beat 56th-ranked Côte d’Ivoire in the … Read more
- Côte d’Ivoire vs. Egypt – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (26.01.2022, 17:00 CET)The penultimate round of sixteen match at the 2021 Africa Cup in Cameroon pits Côte d’Ivoire and Egypt against each other. Thus, the teams ranked 56th and 45th in the FIFA rankings will compete. In other words, on paper, the continent’s number ten and number six teams will clash. The reality, however, is that Côte … Read more
- Nigeria vs. Tunisia – Betting Tip, Prediction, Odds for the Round of 16 of the Africa Cup Of Nations (23.01.2022, 20:00 CET)This Sunday, the round of 16 matches of the Africa Cup of Nations begins. Nigeria, the sovereign winners of Group D, will face Tunisia, who only finished third in Group F but qualified for the next round as one of the best third-placed teams. The kick-off is at 20:00 at the Roumdé Adjia Stadium in Garoua. Should the match be cancelled at short notice, bets will be refunded.
- Nigeria vs. Egypt – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (11.01.2022, 17:00 CET)The first matchday in Group D of the Africa Cup in Cameroon will see a clash between Nigeria and Egypt. The teams, which are placed 36th and 45th in the FIFA rankings, will compete against each other. In other words, the fourth and fifth best teams on the continent will meet. The Nigerian national team … Read more
- Morocco vs. Ghana – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Africa Cup match (10.01.2022, 17:00 CET)The match between Morocco and Ghana opens the first matchday in Group C of the Africa Cup in Cameroon. The Stade Omnisport Ahmadou Ahidjo in the capital Yaoundé is the venue for the clash between the 28th and the 52nd in the FIFA rankings. Or, to put it another way: the continent’s number two and … Read more