France is the country of the reigning world champion. So it goes without saying that football is on everyone’s lips there every day. And this is not only the case in connection with Ligue 1, the European Cup competitions and the national team. The French are also concerned with Ligue 2, the third-tier Championnat Nationale, the cup competitions and Division 1 Féminine. The top flight in women’s football is one of the strongest in Europe.
Two Ligue 1 clubs – former Women’s Champions League winners Olympique Lyon and Paris Saint-Germain – have dominated the competition for several years. In the 2020/2022 season, PSG replaced the Gones after 14 seasons. And they did so in the very season in which OSC Lille broke the monopoly in the men’s game. In addition to Paris Saint-Germain, which returned to success after the signings of Lionel Messi & Co, Olympique Marseille reached a European Cup final in recent years. But Olympique Lyon, for example, also regularly plays internationally.
Furthermore, in a football-crazy country, relevant media cannot be missing. In particular, the Ballon d’Or is awarded annually by a French sports daily. In addition, there are dozens of other portals that are also dedicated to the transfer market (Mercato).
You might also be interested in the following betting predictions:
- Serie A betting predictions
- Bundesliga betting predictions
- La Liga betting predictions
- Premier League betting predictions
- Africa Cup of Nations Predictions
- CAF Champions League Predictions
Ligue 1 Predictions
As already mentioned, French men’s football has been dominated by the national team in recent years. Club-wise, it lags behind women’s football and this has caused disappointment among PSG supporters. Nevertheless, the French Ligue 1 is one of the top leagues and it has a high status far beyond its borders.
The three highest French divisions have in common that they are played at national level. Furthermore, all teams play a first and second leg, both at home and away. In Ligue 1 and Ligue 2, the field comprises 20 teams, and in the Championnat Nationale, 18 teams compete.
In the latter two leagues, the champion and the runner-up are promoted. Behind them, three and two participants respectively complete the play-offs. The winners of the play-offs will meet the third-last-place teams in Ligue 1 and Ligue 2, while four teams in the third-highest division will be relegated immediately.
The Ligue 1 teams and squads and their form curves
In the French top flight, teams like Paris Saint-Germain, Olympique Lyon, Olympique Marseille and OSC Lille are the talk of the town. However, these teams also experience point losses against glaring outsiders in Ligue 1. This fact alone shows us that you shouldn’t make a general assumption. And you should always look at the balance sheets and the individual match histories first.
Moreover, especially at Corona times there are a lot of retirements. But streaks of bad luck are also normal. Therefore, it is always important to find out about injured and sick players as well as players who are suspended. Moreover, every participant has his or her strengths and weaknesses. In addition, team spirit plays a key role. And when a team like PSG drops points in Lorient, the mentality is also lacking.
The coaches in Ligue 1 and their line-ups
As in all other professions, every coach in Ligue 1 has a first season in the top flight. These can be foreign coaches with experience in other leagues as well as French newcomers. And it always proves during the season whether a breakthrough is achieved or whether a coach is not suited to the league/club after all. Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino, for example, were successful at PSG and Jorge Sampaoli at Olympique Marseille. Things went completely differently for the former Swiss team boss and Lazio Roma coach Vladimir Petković in Bordeaux. And then there are coaches like Rudi Garcia, who usually leave big footprints.
Furthermore, a lot depends on tactics. It is also always interesting to observe which teams are almost exclusively made up of experienced players/stars and which teams make more use of young players. Moreover, just as with footballers, coaches can fall ill or, in some cases, be suspended.
The balances of the Ligue 1 teams in the stadiums, pressures and peculiarities
Furthermore, we think it is always interesting to observe how the teams perform at home and away. Logic would say, of course, that they certainly do easier at home. But that is not always the case. In addition, French Ligue 1 has no city derbies at least once until the 2021/2022 season. That represents a rarity in football.
As of April 2022, however, it is a matter of time before Paris FC is promoted to the top flight. Furthermore, there are some fixtures in particular, such as OSC Lille vs. RC Lens and AS Monaco vs. OGC Nice, where travel times are very limited. And then there are significant incidents away from the game. By this we mean club takeovers or the scandal surrounding the now deceased Bernard Tapie at Olympique Marseille.
Ligue 1 sports betting tips: How to bet
As with every top division, there are constant discussions about Ligue 1. Football fans wonder, for example, whether PSG will be dethroned again and which teams will be involved internationally. And which teams will be relegated to Ligue 2 or take part in the relegation.
Then there is the race for the title of top scorer, which of course has a new significance after PSG signed Messi. However, the French Ligue 1 clearly has more to offer. It is no coincidence that tens of betting markets are available per match. If the matches didn’t offer that, the bookies couldn’t simply conjure it up. And we look at the best possible options for you.
Our latest France Ligue 1 Predictions
- Lille OSC vs AC Ajaccio – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (29.04.2023, 17:00 CET)In the coming days, France’s Ligue 1 will play the fixtures of the 33rd matchday. Here, the clash Lille OSC vs AC Ajaccio will take place on Saturday at 17:00. Thus, the fifth in the Ligue 1 table will receive the penultimate. The Dogues and the Orsi collected 56 and 22 points respectively. What speaks … Read more
- Montpellier vs. Clermont – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (19.03.2023, 15:00 CET)In the coming days, France’s Ligue 1 will play the fixtures of the 28th matchday. Here, on Sunday at 15:00, exemplarily the clash Montpellier HSC vs. Clermont Foot will take place. Thus, the 13th in the French Ligue 1 table will receive the twelfth. The Paillade and the Lanciers took 33 and 34 points respectively. … Read more
- AJ Auxerre vs. Olympique Lyon – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (17.02.2023, 21:00 CET)In the coming days, in France’s Ligue 1 the fixtures of the 24th matchday will take place. Here, the clash AJ Auxerre vs. Olympique Lyon will open the programme on Friday at 21:00. Thus, the penultimate in the Ligue 1 table will receive the ninth. The AJA and the Gones collected 15 and 35 points … Read more
- Lorient vs. Stade Rennais – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (27.01.2023, 21:00 CET)After a two-week break, in this weekend, the fixtures of the 18th matchday in France’s Ligue 1 will take place. Here, the Breton regional derby Lorient vs. Stade Rennais will open the programme on Friday at 21:00. Thus, the seventh in the Ligue 1 table will face the fifth at the Stade du Moustoir. The … Read more
- Olympique Lyon vs. OGC Nice – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (11.11.2022, 21:00 CET)On the weekend before the kick-off of the World Cup 2022, the Ligue 1 goes into the break with the 15th matchday. Here, the classic Olympique Lyon vs. OGC Nice will take place on Friday at 21:00. Thus, the eighth in the Ligue 1 table will receive the ninth. The Gones and the Aiglons took … Read more
- SCO Angers vs. RC Lens – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (05.11.2022, 21:00 CET)In the coming days, the 14th matchday in the Ligue 1 will take place. Here, the fixture SCO Angers vs. RC Lens will be played on Saturday at 21:00. Thus, the second-placed team in the Ligue 1 table will face the last one in an away game. The Black and Whites and Les Sang et … Read more
- Toulouse vs. SCO Angers – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (16.10.2022, 13:00 CET)In the upcoming weekend, the eleventh matchday in France’s Ligue 1 will take place. Here, the clash Toulouse vs. SCO Angers will be played on Sunday at 13:00. Thus, the twelfth and the fourth last in the Ligue 1 table will compete against each other. The Tef and the Black and Whites collected twelve and … Read more
- Stade Rennes vs. AJ Auxerre – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (11.09.2022, 17:05 CET)This weekend, the sixth matchday of the Ligue 1 season will take place. Here, the clash Stade Rennes vs. AJ Auxerre will be played on Sunday at 17:05. Thus, the ninth and the twelfth in the Ligue 1 table will compete against each other. The teams from Brittany and Burgundy collected eight and seven points … Read more
- Olympique Marseille vs. Olympique Lyon – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (01.05.2022, 20:45 CET)On Sunday at 20:45 it comes to the Choc des Olympiques Marseille vs. Lyon. Here, the second in Ligue 1 receives the eighth. OM and the Gones took 65 and 52 points. Keep up to date with our means of payment test. What speaks for Olympique Marseille? Won six of its last seven championship matches … Read more
- Olympique Marseille vs. OGC Nice – betting prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (20.03.2022, 20:45 CET)In this weekend, in the French Ligue 1 the 29th matchday will take place. Here, the Derby de la Mediterranée Olympique Marseille vs. OGC Nice on Sunday at 20.45 will represent the crowning finale. On top of that, the second-placed team will face at home the third-placed side, with both arch-rivals having 50 points and … Read more
- Racing Strasbourg vs. AS Monaco – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (13.03.2022, 15:00 CET)The 28th matchday in the French Ligue 1 takes place this weekend. Here, Racing Strasbourg vs. AS Monaco constitutes one of the fixtures on Sunday at 15:00. Thus, the fifth and the eighth will play against each other in the Stade de la Meinau. The teams from Alsace and the Principality collected 46 and 41 … Read more
- Olympique Marseille vs. AS Monaco – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (06.03.2022, 20:45 CET)This weekend, the matches of the 27th matchday take place in Ligue 1. The derby de la Mediterranée Olympique Marseille vs. AS Monaco on Sunday at 20.45 represents one of them. Here, the second and the ninth will meet at the Stade Orange Vélodrome. Until now, the Phocéens and ASM collected 47 and 38 points … Read more
- Lille OSC vs. Paris Saint-Germain – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (06.02.2022, 20:45 CET)On Sunday at 20.45, the fixture Lille OSC vs. Paris Saint-Germain closes the 23rd matchday in the French Ligue 1. Thus, the dominant leaders face away the reigning champions, who occupy the eleventh position, at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy. The Great Danes and PSG picked up 32 and 53 points respectively. François Letexier is in charge … Read more
- Olympique Lyon vs Paris St. Germain – betting tip, prediction, odds for the Ligue 1 match (09.01.2022, 20:45 CET)The top match of the French Ligue 1 takes place on Sunday evening. Olympique Lyon welcomes the serial champions Paris St. Germain at their home Groupama Stadium, which can be filled with a maximum of 5000 spectators. The kick-off is at 20:45. What speaks in favor of Olympique Lyon? A week longer break than PSG … Read more